From Genevieve Electric Cooperative to Citizens Electric Corporation

History

 

Electric cooperatives began to crop up nationwide after President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Rural Electrification Administration (REA) into law in 1935. The REA provided low-interest loans to cooperatives in order to electrify rural America.

Genevieve Electric Cooperative was formed in 1941 under the direction of the REA to extend power lines to rural southeastern Missouri. In 1945, at the end of World War II, the first 202 miles of line were energized, and Genevieve Electric started active operation as a rural electric cooperative.