Electric cooperatives began to crop up nationwide after President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Rural Electrification Administration (REA) into law in 1935. The REA provided low-interest loans to cooperatives in order to electrify rural America.
Genevieve Electric Cooperative was formed in 1941 under the direction of the REA to extend power lines to rural southeastern Missouri. In 1945, at the end of World War II, the first 202 miles of line were energized, and Genevieve Electric started active operation as a rural electric cooperative.
Later that same year, Genevieve Electric Cooperative acquired the assets of Missouri General Utilities Company located in Perry, Ste. Genevieve, eastern St. Francois and northern Cape Girardeau counties.
With the acquisition of Missouri General Utilities, Genevieve Electric Cooperative began serving the cities of Ste. Genevieve and Perryville, each having a population of more than 1,500 customers. Since cooperatives are prohibited from serving any municipality with a population exceeding 1,500, it was necessary to reorganize Genevieve Electric Cooperative.
To accomplish this reorganization, Citizens Electric Corporation was organized, incorporated and the charter was issued on Nov. 17, 1947.
Citizens Electric at a Glance
Citizens Electric is a not-for-profit corporation operating as an electric cooperative, which means its customers are member/owners. They build equity (capital credits) in the corporation through their patronage. Capital credits are allocated to members whenever revenues exceed operating expenses. Capital credits are refunded at the discretion of the board according to the corporation's financial condition.
Ten members are elected to serve on the Board of Directors in order to govern the corporation.